Problems implementing search

Adding a search feature to my blog app has been on the wish list for a while. Turns out that I’ve made it more complicated than I expected.

As I mentioned before I installed the sunspot gem and it was working beautifully in development mode but then when I uploaded it to Heroku I discovered that the functionality needed to make the gem work is only available for paying users 🙁

Late last night I came across a Railscasts episode about coding your own simple search feature. The problem is that in order to make it work I have to change my controller in such a way that breaks the pagination feature I installed (kaminari). I ran into the same problem when installing sunspot, and I found a solution after an hour of searching.

I would have installed it last night but it was too late to undertake something like that.

Leave a Reply